By one estimate, half of men between the ages of 51 and 60 experience issues related to aging prostate glands. Some will develop benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH, another name for an aging prostate. You may initially prefer to turn to natural dietary prostate supplements to help address your issues, while others may seek prescribed medicines when they begin to experience more advanced prostate problems.
Whether you choose our products or not, we want every man to be educated and able to advocate for himself, so we’ve compiled this information on prescription drugs used to treat BPH and what they do to help the prostate.
- Alpha-blockers. Alpha-blockers lower blood pressure by keeping adrenaline from constricting blood vessels. Since the blood vessels are relaxed, muscles in the bladder and prostate are also relaxed and urinating is easier.
- 5-alpha reductase inhibitors: These medications affect hormones by blocking the production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This hormone can help grow the prostate during puberty but contribute to prostate enlargement later in life. By blocking DHT, the prostate will return to its normal size.
Generic and Brand Names
- Types of alpha-blockers
- Alfuzosin: Brand: Uroxatral
- Doxazosin: Brands: Cardura and Cardura XL
- Tamsulosin: Brand: Flomax
- Silodosin: Brand: Rapaflo
- Types of 5-alpha reductase inhibitors
- Finasteride: Brand: Proscar
- Dutasteride: Brand: Avodart
Some alpha-blockers can cause dizziness, headaches, and nausea. It's rare, but they can also occasionally make it difficult for men to get an erection. 5-alpha reductase inhibitors can cause erectile dysfunction and lower sex drive. Some alpha-blockers and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors can also cause retrograde ejaculation, where semen is ejaculated into the bladder at orgasm. This isn't harmful but can cause fertility issues.
Research is ongoing about the use of a drug called tadalafil in treating BPH. It's currently used to treat erectile dysfunction, but could have some benefits for men with BPH. Tadalafil usually found under the brand name Cialis and its side effects include flu-like issues, flushing, headache and diarrhea.
While what modern medicine can accomplish is astounding with the help of pharmaceutical drugs, natural supplements can often be used with medication with the permission of a doctor to help support certain problems related to an aging prostate. If you're looking for a natural solution along with a pharmaceutical one, Urinozinc can help put you on the road to prostate health today.
Before or along with medication, URINOZINC® can really help. Always consult your doctor before taking any medication.